I am currently proprietor of the
Ard Ri House Hotel in Tuam.
For the past 42 years I have worked in the construction
I started as an apprentice carpenter in 1969 with
James Farragher & Co. Tuam.
I am currently managing director
of Thomas McHugh (Kilcloghans) Ltd.
I am also proprietor of Tom McHugh Grocer & General
Merchants at Kiltevna, Dunmore. This has been a family
business since the early 1900's. Since I purchased this
property in 1998 I have rebuilt the entire premises on an
extended site. This is in keeping with my firm commitment to
Between these enterprises we employ approximately 60 people.
As a businessman, I am keenly aware of the terrible state of
the local economy at present and of the difficulties and
challenges faced by businesses both in Tuam and up and down
My priorities as a public representative are:
- Education and Training
- Transport and Infrastructure
- Agriculture and Energy
- Childcare & Children
- Measures to help support the viability of businesses
including increased access to credit, a reduction in
commercial rates and a decrease in the cost of employment
such as employer PRSI
- Decreases in the cost of doing business and a reduction in
bureaucracy in dealing with state agencies.
- Governmental support to enable small businesses to
- Measures to create new employment across a broad range of
- Provide opportunities for people to re-enter the
work-force so that they may once again have the independence
of having their own income and start living a normal life
EDUCATION & TRAINING
- Increased access to training programs.
- Increased focus on retraining in areas related to the
knowledge economy and green technologies.
I support Fine Gaelís proposals for health, which I believe
will lead to:
- Creation of a better, more efficient and fairer system for
all via the introduction of Universal Health Insurance (Fair
- A Reduction in waiting lists and greater access to
- Development of new primary Care Centers with access to
x-ray, ultrasound and endoscopy where GPs and healthcare
professionals will treat patients free of charge.
TRANSPORT & INFRASTRUCTURE
- Provision of new roads and road improvements including the
Gort to Tuam motorway.
- The re-opening of the Western Rail Corridor.
- Enhancement of water supply, sewerage and waste water
treatment facilities within our towns and villages.
AGRICULTURE & ENERGY
- Development of strategies which promote markets for
agricultural produce especially sheep, dairy and meat
- Promotion of Ireland as a world leader in the development
and provision of alternative energy.
- Review environmental legislation governing use of bogs so
that people are entitled to cut and save their own turf.
I am a provider of childcare facilities within housing
developments and I support:
- Grant Aid and Tax Relief for young parents.
- Greater protection for children in our society.